Church Planting really is the primary ministry R2G is involved in. All other “ministries” are simply helping the church planting/pastoral ministry get off the ground and survive.
There is no secret recipe to successful church planting, despite the fact that some are selling such recipes. In the eyes of the Lord, successful church planting, just like all ministry, consists in using the means he has given to do the work he has called us to.
For that reason, church planting must be done by called and ordained ministers of the Gospel who preach and administer the sacraments. An essential element of our church planting strategy is to train and ordain called indigenous men to become ministers and to plant churches that will become members of local/regional presbyteries. Thus, we hope that Heidelberg will become a training center with a seminary.
In our context church planting means doing evangelism through all possible means. Some of the means we intend to use as part of our evangelistic or outreach strategy are:
- a university/campus outreach to students and faculty that will be heavy on apologetics
- an apologetics ministry through lectures and writings intended to engage intellectuals in Heidelberg and beyond
- a thrift store as part of our outreach activity
- outreach to families, especially mothers and their children (home work help, toddler’s groups, etc.)
- Bible studies
- an in-your-face unapologetic evangelistic “InnQuirers” class in a local pub with a short lecture and open discussion
Most importantly, we believe evangelism happens primarily in the context of the Lord’s Day worship service. It is primarily here that the Lord has promised to call and save his elect.